West Palm Beach Bicycle & Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Unfortunately, Florida ranks as the worst state in the country for pedestrian safety, with the highest rate of pedestrian fatalities in all 50 states, according to the Miami Herald. The same is true for bicyclists: Florida is the most dangerous state in the nation when it comes to riding a bike, and has the highest number of cyclist fatalities in the country. According to AAA, 16 percent of all cyclist fatalities occur in Florida. In the vast majority of cases, the motorist is at fault when it comes to pedestrian and bicyclist injuries, though the driver often attempts to blame the victim for “jumping out into the street” or “coming out of nowhere.” The West Palm Beach bicycle & pedestrian accident attorneys at Hale Law, P.A. see through these poor excuses, and hold the negligent drivers accountable for our clients.
Florida’s Bad Infrastructure, and Even Worse Drivers
Florida, like all states, prioritizes motor vehicles over pedestrians and cyclists, preferring to add lanes and increase speed limits instead of implementing traffic calming devices and investing in public transportation and pedestrian and cycling infrastructure. However, this is no excuse for a negligent driver’s behavior. Cyclists and pedestrians have a right to be on the road, and it is the responsibility of each driver to pay attention, stay off their phones, slow down, move over, and yield right of way to vulnerable road users. Distracted driving, aggressive driving, impatient driving, and drunk driving are leading causes of pedestrian and cyclist injuries and fatalities, and these negligent drivers must be held accountable.
Common Types of Bicycle Versus Car Crashes
- Driver hits cyclist from behind due to distraction or drunk driving;
- Driver fails to give three feet of space (a state law) intimidating and coming too close to the cyclist, causing a crash but not hitting the cyclist;
- Driver fails to yield right of way to a cyclist when pulling out from a side street;
- Driver or occupant of a parked car “doors” a cyclist;
- Driver “right hooks” the cyclist;
- Driver makes a left turn across traffic, failing to yield the right of way to a cyclist going straight; and
- Potholes, or a defective product cause the crash.
Common Types of Pedestrian Versus Car Crashes
- Driver hits a pedestrian in a crosswalk;
- Driver hits a pedestrian on the sidewalk while making a turn into a parking lot;
- Driver backs into a pedestrian in a parking lot or backing out of a driveway;
- Driver hits a pedestrian walking along the side of the road;
- Driver hits a pedestrian crossing the street not at a crosswalk; and
- Bad infrastructure, such as heavily rooted or potholed sidewalk, leads to a trip and fall injury.
Our West Palm Beach Attorneys at Hale Law, P.A. Can Take On Your Case Today
The injuries that pedestrians and cyclists face when run down by motorists are often extreme. Victims often face large medical expenses and must take months off of work to recover. We can help you recover these damages, as well as pain and suffering, property damage, emotional distress, and more. To talk to one of our compassionate West Palm Beach pedestrian and bicyclist injury attorneys today at Hale Law P.A., call 941-735-4529 to schedule a free consultation.